Places To Visit
Ballinasloe is an excellent base to enjoy many national and internationally renowned attractions including:
○ Angling - The River Suck which surrounds Ballinasloe is famous as a Coarse Fishing venue.
- Creagh Equestrian Centre - Family run equestrain centre , established in 1994 by Brother and Sister Damien & Fiona Keary. Situated in the beautiful countryside approx 4 miles from Ballinasloe Town. It provides a safe and fun enivorment for both adults & kids. Riders of all levels welcome
○ Athlone Castle - The Castle is a focal point for tourism and visitors
○ Battle of Aughrim Interpretative Centre - as well as excellent detail on the Clontuskert Site.
Relieve the bloodiest Battle in Irish History fought in this small connaught Village
○ Ballinasloe Famine Park
○ Ballinasloe Pitch & Putt
○ Ballinasloe Suck Walkway
○ Clonfert Cathedral - St. Manchan's Shrine was treasured here for centuries before being removed to the parish church in Boher for safe keeping. There are ruined buildings on the site and the well still attracts pilgrims.
○ Clonmacnoise Monastic Settlement - In the sixth century, St. Ciaran chose this site at Clonmacnoise for his monastery. It became a famous place of learning in medieval times and the burial place of kings.
○ Dartfield - in Kilrickle just a few miles to the west of Ballinasloe, a spacious purpose built museum which shows the use of the horse through history in the areas of transport, farming, sport, and local traditions. Explore 350 acres of parkland on horseback or by horse drawn carriage.
○ Garbally Park - Now known as St. Joseph's College and is the seminary for the Diocese of Clonfert. This Mansion was built around 1824 by the Earl of Clancarty.
○ Glendeer Pet Farm - 6 acre award winning Open Pet Farm Over 50 species of animals and birds. Restored 1950's cottage. Nature walk, picnic and play area. Coffee/Tuck shop. Souvenir shop. Self catering accommodation.
○ Kilconnell Abbey - Approx 6 milesoutside Ballinasloe is the ruins of the Franciscan Friary of Kilconnell founded in 1353.
○ Pallas Karting - Europe's largest Karting centre with a 500m beginners track, a 1500m advanced track and a 2200m rally track.
○ Portumna Castle - The great semi-fortified house at Portumna was built before 1618 by Richard Burke
○ Roscommon Castle - Now in ruins this dramatic and imposing 13th Century Norman Castle
○ Up River - Kayaking & Canoeing School